Staying heart healthy can mean a lot of different things. There are so many ways you can improve your heart’s health. This month NW Injury is promoting living heart healthy. We have five tips that will help your live a heart healthy life.
It is all about the heart this month. Vancouver rehab understands how the heart is a pretty important organ in the body. It keeps us alive! The least we could do is show it a little love. And what better months to be thinking about it then the month of love itself? So, it may be time for you to get back on track for your heart healthy lifestyle. Vancouver rehab wants to stir your thought on keeping your heart as healthy as can be.
Here are five tips to start you off in the right direction:
1. Exercise This one might be a given. I think it is pretty universally well known that exercise is a key player in the game of keeping your heart healthy. Exercise keeps your blood pressure low. It also can keep you stress free and increase good cholesterol. Regular exercise will help you control your weight and promote a strong heart. Your local Vancouver rehab center can give you even further advice on the best exercise routine for you.
2. Sleep Getting a full nights rest is crucial to keeping a healthy heart. If you aren’t getting enough sleep then you are putting yourself at higher risk of stroke or heart disease. Your heart needs a full nights rest in order to take on the next day. Sleep is important for so many things aside from just heart health. If you are currently attending a Vancouver rehab center you know that sleep is also important to healing. Make sure to plan accordingly so that you can get a good night’s rest. However, contrary to sleeping too little, sleeping too much can also be hard on your heart. It is important to get just the right amount of rest for your heart. The magic number for sleep is between 7 and 8 hours.
3. Blueberries Blueberries are the super food for the heart. They are chalked full of antioxidants. Antioxidants improve healthy healing for an injury that involves rehab or they can help keep your blood pressure low as well. They have universal benefits. They have a special compound called anthocyanin. This compound stimulates a healthy heart. This is an antioxidant that can also be found in blackcurrants, blood oranges, and eggplants. The more antioxidants you consume in your diet the healthier the heart.
4. Dark Chocolate Anybody loves an excuse to eat chocolate and even better when it promotes heart health! Dark chocolate surprisingly can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. It doesn’t take much and moderation is key here. A weekly amount of pure dark chocolate can help you evade the potential of a stroke. It can also help with lowering the amount of protein in your blood, which can cause inflammation. Eating dark chocolate also improves blood flow and can help prevent artery plaques. It is believed that the flavonoids in the dark chocolate protect the cells against damage.
5. Reduce Red Meat Red meat is killer to your heart! Literally. It can harden your blood vessels. This leads strokes and clots. Limit the amount of red meat you are consuming. It is still important to make sure you are getting protein and iron in your diet, however there are other ways to get protein. Fish, poultry, beans and dairy are all great alternatives for iron and protein.