According to WebMD, up to 80% of adults in the U.S. get tension headaches from time to time. About 3% have the chronic daily type and women are twice as likely to get them as men.
They can range from occasional to frequent, some are dull and throbbing, and some cause debilitating pain and nausea.
The causes can range from food choices, noises, lights, stress, insomnia, excessive exercise, blood sugar changes, etc.. About 5% of all headaches are warning signals caused by physical problems. The remaining 95% are primary headaches, such as tension, migraine, or cluster. These types are not caused by disease; the headache itself is the primary concern.
The greatest majority are associated with muscle tension in the neck. Although it’s possible to get symptomatic relief by taking an over-the-counter medication, there are alternative options available that can address more than just symptomatic pain and can offer a preventative way to avoid them altogether.
Relief For Headaches
Research shows that chiropractic adjustments may be an effective treatment option for tension headaches and headaches that originate in the neck. A 2014 report in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics (JMPT) found that interventions commonly used in chiropractic care improved outcomes for the treatment of acute and chronic neck pain and increased benefit was shown in several instances where a multi-modal approach to neck pain had been used1. Also, a 2011 JMPT study found that chiropractic care, including spinal manipulation, improves migraine and cervicogenic headaches.
Another way to get relief is through massage therapy. A consistent regime of deep tissue massage can serve as a preventative measure to avoid tension headaches. Massage can also provide symptomatic relief as well.
We prefer to address the root cause of headaches, so we offer multiple techniques and procedures that can help with headache pain relief.
If you need help with headache pain and looking for an alternative way to get relief without the use of medications, please contact us today!